Modern Integrated TLS Traffic Management System
Intelligent Transportations Systems (ITS) are implemented with a goal of improving mobility and safety of travelers and other users on highways, bridges and tunnels. They include various technologies for sensing, data processing and presenting information to all those users.
Successful implementation of ITS cannot be achieved without complete integration of all those technologies (subsystems).
One of the standards that enables construction of integrated hierarchical traffic management systems is TLS standard, used on German and Austrian highways.
Purpose of TLS is to define the functions and interfaces on unique way, so that the equipment of different manufactures, based on specifications, can be compliant to each other.
TLS system is hierarchy based so every route has its own Central traffic control system on highest place in traffic management system. Local control center controls road traffic stations (RTS).
All road traffic stations (RTS) and substations (RTSS) communicate with the central control system via standardized TLS protocol.
Road traffic stations and substations support the work of the functional groups defined according to the TLS standard:
- FG1 (traffic data collection)
- FG3 (meteorological data collection)
- FG4 (variable traffic signs)
- FG6 (RTS status)
- FG254 (RTS system settings management)
All end devices (traffic detectors, weather stations, variable message signs) are connected to the Central control unit of the Road traffic station, which then processes the collected data and sent them to the central system via TLS protocol.
The Central control unit is provided with a user interface that allows management of VMS and checking of terminal devices state from the RTS location.
Traffic Management System in Tunnels
The management system of tunnels consists of remote control (PLC) system that controls life support systems, and traffic management system.
Remote control system of tunnels must ensure minimum required functionality of life-sustaining systems inside the tunnels through the power supply, fire detection, ventilation, CO/NO and visibility detection and lighting subsystems in case of loss of communication with the central system.
“Master” PLC devices are installed in facilities in which the ring configurations of local communication networks, which connect the subsystems listed above, end.
Master PLC communicates with all remote control and management subsystems PLC devices. The information collected from individual subsystems are forwarded to central system SCADA module. Master PLC automatically forwards all commands initiated manually by the operator or automatically, as a result of execution of automatic algorithm that takes place within the central traffic control system and is forwarded to the Master PLC by the superior SCADA module, to the executive PLC devices of the remote control system.
All real time operation algorithms, such as automatic algorithm for calming the air flow in case of fire or automatic tunnel closing due to detection of fire, are carried out on the Master PLC. All remote PLCs are configured to create an automated remote control system that can operate in case of failure of communication to superior SCADA system and errors which may occur due to problems in operation of computer equipment in the control center (SCADA server).
All Road Traffic Stations and Road Traffic Substations located in and adjacent to the tunnel are connected to the master PLC via standard MODBUS or PROFIBUS protocols. This enables local automatic operation based on information collected by the Master PLC in case tunnel closing or providing key information to the drivers in case of emergency is required.
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of CCTV System
Modern traffic control system enables full functional and ergonomic integration of CCTV system in the main control software through the following functionalities:
- Ability to view video streams from selected cameras within the main control software graphical user interface, with a precise indication of the selected camera's position
- Ability to manage the selected camera within the graphical user interface of the main view
- Drag-and-drop camera selection in the main GUI
- The ability to display the current video stream and recording from the same camera without changing the video player application. Video player application allows the operator to stop ("pause") the current video stream and play the video recorded from the same camera in the same display location. Video player and the video recorder are connected functionally in the same application.
- Control of camera PTZ functions by mouse (without the use of additional commands to move the camera and control the zoom)
- The possibility of digital zoom (zooming of video streams from fixed cameras)
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of Surveillance Over Communication Infrastructure
Modern central traffic control system enables full surveillance and functional integration of the entire traffic control system communication infrastructure. Schematic display of communication network infrastructure, including the display of current state of the communication devices and communication paths / connections, is presented in a separate layer of the central control system's general GUI. All information about the state of communication devices and communication paths / connections can be used to define alarms which can trigger the automatic algorithms used for support of the process of incident situation resolving.
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of Central System IT Infrastructure
Modern central traffic control system enables full surveillance and functional integration of the entire traffic control system IT infrastructure (hardware and software support). State of all servers, workstations and all software components of the central system are displayed on a separate layer of the central control system's general GUI. The following information are acquired:
- CPU usage
- RAM usage
- Free storage space on all hard drives
- State of all central control system software components, including all services and applications running on servers and workstations
All acquired information can be used to define alarms which can trigger the automatic algorithms used for support of the process of incident situation resolving.
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of Application for Road Users
Modern central systems support the smartphone application for road users, compatible with devices operating on iOS and Android operating systems that enables the following:
- Two-way communication with the central traffic control system
- Display of current location on the map
- Emergency call – the application automatically sends the caller's location and accident type based on a simple user selection
- Receipt of written instructions in case of accident
- Correspondence (“chat”) with the on-duty operator in the emergency call center
- Automatic connection to the voice channel for communication with the on-duty operator in the emergency call center in case of emergency
- Display of current traffic situation on the road section the user is on
- Display of current limits, prohibitions and warnings on the road section the user is on
- Display of alternative routes in case of traffic jams or closure of the road section the user is on
The central traffic control system enables communication, data acquisition and automatic sending of personalized information to the road user applications running on smartphones.
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of Fleet Management System
Modern central systems support smartphone application for maintenance personnel, compatible with devices operating on iOS and Android operating systems, that enables the following:
- Display of current location on the map
- Incident reporting with possibility to send images. The application automatically sends GPS coordinates and other information about the incident based on user selection. The user selection and input of additional information are done according to the remote incident reporting procedure.
- Receipt of written instructions for further actions in case of initiation of intervention
- Correspondence (“chat”) with the on-duty operator in the control center
- Automatic connection to the voice channel for communication with the on-duty operator in the control center
- Display of current traffic situation on the road section the maintenance personnel is on
- Display of current limits, prohibitions and warnings on the road section the maintenance personnel is on
The central traffic control system enables fleet management through information on vehicle movement and current location, received through the smartphone application installed on smartphones used by the personnel operating the vehicles.
The fleet management module is used for surveillance of movement of maintenance vehicles and patrol service vehicles.
The fleet management system integrated in the traffic control system enables:
- Display of current vehicle location on a map (GIS map view)
- Vehicle status (active – inactive)
- Tracking and recording vehicle movement during active status
- Two-way communication between the central traffic control system operator and field personnel through a “chat” window in the application
- Receipt of incident reports
- Storing of all vehicle movement, communication and status information in the central database and creating reports
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of Incident Management System
Modern central system enables automatic setting of incidents based on information received from the smartphone application for maintenance personnel. The central system also enables manual setting of incidents by the operator, based on external information received from users or officials, or observed on video surveillance. Incidents are presented with a corresponding icon on the main central system GUI, on the location which corresponds to the actual on-site location. Initiation of automatic procedures for incident resolving based on incident data is possible. All incident related information, including time, location (GIS coordinates) and images are automatically stored in the central database in order to enable their review and creation of reports.
The central traffic control system enables expanded functionality of incident management subsystem fulfills the following requirements:
- All events logged in the central traffic control system can be configured as alarms which initiate execution of automatic procedures
- Combination of events logged in the central traffic control system can be configured as alarms which initiate execution of automatic procedures
- Automatic procedures enable interaction with the operator during their execution
- Incident management system enables prioritization of automatic procedure execution in case multiple procedures with overlapping jurisdiction on equipment or road section are initiated simultaneously
- Incident management system enables simultaneous execution of automatic procedures in case multiple procedures with no overlapping jurisdiction on equipment or road section are initiated simultaneously
Functional and Ergonomic Integration of DATEX II Interface for Communication Between Traffic Centres
Modern central system enables gathering and sending of aggregated traffic and infrastructure state data to external services and traffic agencies within and outside the country according to the DATEX II protocol. Communication and aggregation module, prepared for dictionary and data group configuration, which are exchanged with other agencies and services according to the DATEX II protocol, is integrated in the central system.