Advanced Traffic Management Systems (ATMS)
Two trends are unambiguous in modern days: 1. technologies for information sourcing, analysis and processing are rapidly evolving and 2. traffic problems are constantly growing – the cost of congestion caused by traffic jams and incidents is measured in billions of dollars worldwide.
Unhappy societies who are paying those bills are demanding improvements while responsibilities of traffic agencies are increasing – they are under constant pressure to challenge existing traffic problems.
Although the evolution of information technologies will inevitably make impact on ITS/ATMS industry, one question remains today - what can be done to deploy new technologies in understandable, yet safe and future-proof ways?
Viable way to challenge this problem is to use new generation ATMS based on Artificial Intelligence:
- Utilize all available sources of information (Big Data sources - vehicles, traffic sensors, related public services, etc) for accurate monitoring and prediction of traffic
- Prevent or reduce congestion and reduce the likelihood of incidents
- Promptly detect and clear incident situations to reduce the probability of secondary incidents and congestion
- Keep the travelers, vehicles, public and related stakeholders constantly aware of traffic conditions and best options for their journeys
The system consists of topXview™ ATMS software and customizable set of subsystems. It integrates data from all kinds of sensors and traffic devices and evaluates them, turning them into the useful information about the traffic flow, ergonomically presented to traffic managers. The system then helps traffic managers, by supporting their decision making, suggesting them most appropriate strategies for resolving events and incidents, and transferring executional commands to active elements of the system.
Data interfaces and analytics
The wide range of data interfaces and processing capability supports connection and analytics on all available data sources such as CV/AV, C-ITS, Smart City systems, Big Data sources, etc.
User interfaces are operated through web client or dedicated workstations, on Windows, iOS and Android platforms.
The system Runs in cloud, virtual servers, or dedicated servers
Complete traffic management operations in one platform
Visualization of traffic conditions, situational awareness, incident management and decision support tools are tailored to make traffic operators focused and efficient in performing their duties. Decision Support System supports traffic operators in their operations from start to finish.
It links their traffic and incident management process - monitoring, detection, resolving, reviewing and improving, with executive actions on ITS assets and connected systems.
Fits to Agency’s operating procedures
Every Agency has its established concept of operations for traffic management. Telegra's ATMS fits into Agency’s concept of operations smoothly and completely.
Fits to any configuration of traffic network
topXview™ ATMS is ready for any network configuration and assures same efficient and coordinated quality of traffic management in any of the following cases:
- Traffic network operated by single agency from single control center
- Traffic network hierarchically operated from multiple control centers
Fits to any concept of traffic management
The system can be implemented in new and existing traffic control centers, and integrate any new and existing legacy ITS assets to provide Active Traffic Management, Integrated Corridor Management or Tunnel SCADA and Traffic Management
The system has unlimited scalability in terms of subsystems and ITS assets integrated. Based on license agreement, expansions with new road segments can be done either by Agency or by Telegra.
Communication in topXview™ system is secured with SSL protocols
topXview™ ATMS is being used by traffic management agencies as indispensable traffic and safety management tool in more than 130 traffic management centers worldwide, managing traffic of millions of vehicles, on more than 3,000 miles of highways, bridges and tunnels. These numbers are constantly growing.
It can be implemented on new and existing ITS infrastructure.
Resources and knowledge base:
- Publications http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publications.htm#its
- FHWA Active Traffic Management Basics http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/atdm/approaches/atm.htm
- FHWA Integrated Corridor Management and Traffic Incident Management: A Primer http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop16035/index.htm
- FHWA Congestion related sites:
- System Integration http://www.test.telegra-europe.com/learning_centers/category-65-topxview-traffic-management-software/center-72-system-integration
- FHWA - Institutional, Operational and Technical Integration: http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop16035/index.htm#ii